Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Response to "Thinking Mathematically" STUCK

To be honest, the first thing that stops me is a STUCK. I have no idea about the meaning of “gap” and what is the meaning of the table for the first problem. So I took the approach I had just read about, I re-read the problem many times at a slower speed, and I still couldn't figure it out, then I drew the diagrams in the example many times before I finally understood that “gap” meant how many pins were spaced out in the loop, and the table lists the number of strings needed to accomplish the required gap size for a given number of pins. So I can see how this is really a good example for STUCK. I did get stuck for a long time.


And the second stop is “Being STUCK! is a healthy state”. From a learner's point of view, whenever we get stuck, we definitely start to doubt ourselves, start to feel negative and even start to get bored with what we are learning. I think that's why most people dislike math, there are so many stuck in math. But it is true that it is also a healthy state to be in because after getting stuck, as long as you don't give up on your studies, you will surely unlock that stuck problem through your own efforts, and you will not only gain knowledge, but also a sense of fulfillment or achievement that will give you more confidence in yourself. So as a teacher's perspective, when faced with a student who is stuck, it's important to give them more help in resolving this “stuck” so that they can make progress, rather than adding to their frustration with the “stuck”.

 

Ch11 - solution: Ch11 - solution

2 comments:

  1. Given that large classes can make it difficult for teachers to help each student individually when they are stuck, how do you think a teacher can balance providing individual support versus addressing the whole class? How should a teacher decide when to help a student one-on-one versus explaining a concept to the entire class?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one-on-one help is a difficult thing to do in a class with a large number of students, and perhaps it could be used outside of class time, such as a lunch break or after school to set up a block and let the students choose whether or not to come. I think that if the students don't specifically request it, the teacher should always be speaking to the whole class during the lesson, and could speak to a few students during group discussions.

      Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

      Delete

Final Reflection

     Before I took this course, All my memories of teaching math were trapped in my previous educational environment and the boring pure mat...