To be honest, I feel like when I’m doing a sticky math problem but we still focus on it and figure it out at the end, this process is easier to make me feel the flow. I found it easy to get into a state of flow when I was doing math homework in my undergraduate years, and there was a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction every time that state ended. Similarly, I think that when I was practicing a musical instrument as a child, there was a sense of flow when I could play the entire piece accurately after practicing it over and over again on my own. It's the feeling of fireworks going off in your head after you've accomplished something perfectly, after you've blanked out while concentrating on something difficult.
As a teacher, I think it’s a little bit hard to make students have a flow in a limited class time. But, we could try to develop students' concentration in class and tell them not to give up when they come across even boring and difficult math topics, but to try to take a deep breath and focus for a while first, so that they can develop the ability to enter the flow. Or when we’re giving them a test, we can choose problems that seem to have complex topics, but can be solved quickly if read carefully, and give them a focused time to develop this skill. [But I’m still thinking it’s a little bit hard to achieve a state of flow in a limited time and when students have anxiety or resistance to doing math. But, This is still what we need to try to accomplish as a teacher.]
Thanks Krystal! You've made some good connections to your own experiences of flow states, but I think you need to take another close look at Peter Liljedahl's slides to get what he's suggesting about how to work with creating flow states in our math classes. I don't know if it would work just to tell kids not to give up! Liljedahl has more concrete suggestions for ways to create that enjoyable feeling of solving a sticky problem, even for students who may not have enjoyed more routine exercises in math class. I think it is quite possible to do this!
ReplyDelete