The personal pronouns in textbooks mentioned in this article is something I hadn't noticed before either as a teacher or as a student. Because to be honest, when I was a student I rarely read textbooks carefully for the “What do you think?” Or “What did you get out of this picture part” . I think more often than not the textbook is just a supportive role, it is just used as a tool for students to review or preview, students can find the definitions we need to learn from the textbook or find some practice questions to review for the exam.
As a teacher, I don't think I would use a textbook as often as I would like to, because most textbooks break down what we need to learn into smaller sections that are applicable to most students. But the truth is that many children are traumatized or find math difficult, and each child has a different level of acceptance of math.
I prefer that I can blend the points that I need to teach in each unit and then create a content that is at the level of the students that I am teaching, rather than a uniform and almost identical textbook, which would also be more beneficial to the students that I am teaching, making it easier for them to comprehend and understand.
As for the personification issue, I think that for younger kids, who would prefer and pay more attention to how the material interacts with them, using first person would make them feel more interactive. But for high school students, this won't affect them much.
Thanks Krystal. I like your thoughts on customizing the textbook/ workbook/ units for the students you actually have, rather than working directly from a uniform, one-size-fits-all textbook!
ReplyDelete